Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Phil Flies Away

Phil and the boys worked well today. They shoveled out the remainder of the ton of gravel from the back of our truck, and reburied many of the trenches.

In preparation for heeling in our trees, which I realized are supposed to be buried in an 18” trench, covered with sawdust, then thoroughly wetted, with mice traps on top (well, officially it should have mouse bait, but that seems a bit too risky to the children and nasty to the mice). We have driven past a sawmill, and I called about their sawdust: they have plenty, and it’s not too expensive for a pickup truck load.

What made me really rejoice was when Phil and I looked around for a good spot to heel them in. I don’t want them too far from our living space, as I think deer pressure will increase the further the trees are from our trailer. Suddenly, the area next to the barn came into focus: it already has a trench, from when Phil ran electrical line and water line. It’s about 18”, and only feet away from our living quarters. The perfect spot! And we wouldn’t need Butch to come back and trench for us.

We decided to get the trees delivered next week, then.

After Phil finished the trench, we were going to begin to lay out the orchard. However, the stakes didn’t arrive today, and Phil got a work “emergency call” from his biggest client (a great client who actually pays bills on time! How rare!). So he booked a flight this evening to Denver, and will head up to the job site tomorrow morning.

This form of commuting is not inexpensive. A week ago, Phil turned down a job in Denver from a potential new client: “We’re really busy right now, and I can’t make it out today.” After that call, he said, “What should our family policy be about work-related calls?”

What we came up with is that we will take any jobs that the Lord chooses to send our way, and trust that whatever calls come will help pay the bills, not cost more than the eventual checks. Earlier this week, in passing I thought, “Lord, you need to send us [meaning Phil] work, as I am not finding as much time to work as I had hoped and expected.”

And I trust he will honor that prayer. I am thankful that the call came through today, when all our water lines are buried and set for winter; when we have no pressing animal needs; when we aren’t dealing with major shipments of trees, or going on vacation, or, really, anything else vital to the working of our farm.

Besides that, Phil will be able to sign closing papers while he’s there, rather than Fed Exing them back and forth.

I delight to see how God works out the details of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment