Friday, May 21, 2010

Leaf Comb

Last November, when we got our orchard trees, we heeled them in, using the trench just dug for our water and electric line, and a load of sawdust from a local sawmill.

Now that the trees are planted, I want to use the trench again, this time for asparagus crowns. But first I have to remove the sawdust.

The boys and I worked together for a time. It was hot in the sun, but somewhat happy to see the progress we made. I am so thankful for the garden cart! How nice not to have to haul the sawdust in buckets!

And I did plant one-sixth of the asparagus crowns. Fifty to go.

In the afternoon, I planted another set of strawberries. Two down, four to go.

I also weeded the garden a bit, moved the sheep, and checked on the bees.

The bees are not anxious to free their caged queen. A few bees are always on her cage, and the errant swarming bees have not swarmed again. In fact, they moved across the hive to join their companions. I am hopeful that the queen's pheromones are already exercising a cohesive influence on the hive.

I found today why the bees did not all fly away when I began to dig. On emptying their abandoned part of the hive, I came across comb they built on a leaf. Crazy bees.

No comments:

Post a Comment