Sunday, November 28, 2010

How to Lose Milking Production in a Week

During the week I was dragging with strep throat, we left Bianca and all the animals to be together in the combined pen. I was thankful for the extra rest.

Imagine my chagrin, however, when we began to milk Bianca again and found that her production had dropped from about 12 pounds a day to 9 pounds! Even though her swiftly growing Beatrice had free access, apparently Beatrice does not need as much as we managed.

How frustrating, to lose 25% of production in a week of laxness!

The bucks have again joined Bianca; Phil shut Bianca and I into the milking pen this evening, and I happily began milking, apart from the bucks. Midway, I looked over to find the bucks slinking under the pen, like hairy serpents. Thankfully, they didn't pay much attention to Bianca or me; even still, I am eager for their demise.

Further, we are unsure how to impregnate our two cows. The optimal time is in the next month (mid-December to mid-January), and at this point, we haven't seen any signs of heat from either cow. And, with early winter now upon us (just in the last few days), early morning was 20 degrees, and I really have little desire to stand around for 20 minutes and watch for signs of heat.

Besides, although I ordered semen straws a month ago, I have yet to hear from the association, so even if I HAD seen signs of heat, I would have no way to capitalize on it.

A bull would solve these problems; a bull would be good. But there are few Milking Devon bulls for sale this time of year; Phil has no idea when he would be able to go to get a bull; our fencing is not necessarily prepared for a bull.

It's a conundrum, what's the best thing to do.

I continue to plant garlic in my spare time: I prepared and planted a couple beds yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment