Thursday, May 5, 2011

My Clean Barn-Kitchen



The thermometer stood right at 32 when I got up. I waited until the thermometer read 50 (early morning sun hits it, so I'm sure the temperature wasn't actually 50 outside!). And although there was frost on the peat around the tomato beds, persistent enough that I made a hand print in it, every one of my plants came through just fine, blossoms, small fruit and all.

Thanks be to God (and to the Acres USA MP3 where I first heard that BD 507 can help raise plant temperatures just a bit).

Today, while Ken and Cheri cared for the boys (making mounds and mounds of pancakes), and Ken cleaned the motor home stove, which was filthy from all my uncleaned up spills over the last year (!—bless him; it took nearly all day, because it was a horrendously scrubbing job, that even required a trip to the store for more robust cleaning supplies than the homestead offered), I tackled the barn.

Our metal shed, used as kitchen, chick brooder, and feed storage shed, has been much neglected lately. As the weather heats up, though, the motor home will be less pleasant to cook in, and I want to move back outside. But 18 months of stuff accumulation needed some serious sorting, scrubbing, and disposing. The walls themselves were bespeckled, and the surface of the two tables was completely buried. There are no "before" photos, because potential customers might read this post at some point, and I wouldn't want them to turn away in disgust.

It took me all day, and Cheri helped a great deal, but my kitchen is sparkling, my farming supplies are actually stored in their own places. Since we no longer store feed in the barn, I had more storage space than I realized! What a great feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment