Friday, June 3, 2011

A Bee Disaster


I went to pick up chicks while Phil slept off the rest of the Benadryl. Happily, his swelling had gone down enough that he was able to help me put down T-Tape dripline for the garden.

He started with the earliest section, filled with lettuce, onions, mustard greens gone to seed, and tons of weeds. I was almost ready to quit—or explode—who wants to clear out a bed of depressing garden failures (not remembering the amazing salads we've had so far, nor the beautiful rainbow chard, untouched by bugs).

But, as of yesterday, I am determined to keep my extremely negative thoughts to myself. And it worked. After about an hour of pulling weeds and pulling drip tape, that bed was transformed! I grew excited again about gardening.

And then we headed over to water the cucumbers, tomatoes, flowers, potatoes. It took many hours, but by late afternoon, our thirsty plants had been watered.

We were almost too enthusiastic. When we went to water the chickens, we didn't get much water out of the hose. We almost ran the well dry. Thanks be to God that we still have water. Truly.

We also moved both the layer hens and the broilers to new pasture. Phil has a method where he lays a cattle panel flat and stomps all over it. This puts the grasses down and helps the chickens see where they're going.

At one point, all five pigs were finally down in their new home, eating at their trough. Their three day stubbornness finally ended. Phil strung an electric line, and we watched, happily. Until one by one Chunky, Charles, and Connie all ran through the electric line. Apparently, they've figured out that temporary pain is worth their freedom. This is fairly horrifying because they also have figured out how to burst through the cattle panel fence. Perhaps Phil will have to put cattle panels around their electric line. Perhaps we need to get out of the pig rearing business, and just stick with feeders, that go to processing when only 200 pounds. That was a disappointment.

Another disappointment came when I went to check the bees. It was a good day, and they were quite calm and industrious. But when I opened the hives, and was HORRIFIED to find that the frames of honey and brood that I had moved up to the upper level, to entice the bees up, had all broken, and lay, flat, across the bottom of the hives.

I briefly considered leaving the comb where it lay. But that would create a permanent problem. So I got FULLY suited up, wearing Phil's waterproof pants and jacket, tucked the pants into my shoes, thin gardening gloves velcroed into my sleeves, and bee veil. The Celadon hive had two broken frames, primarily honey. I dumped them into the milk pail. A total loss, I'm afraid.

The Celestial hive had three broken frames. Two beautiful frames with brood, one with some sealed worker brood.

And one with mostly sealed drone brood.

The worker brood, flush with the comb, had a few workers emerging.

The drone brood pokes out, to make room for the larger drones. Their larva are large and white, and their abdomens have no stinger.

The bees build their comb out from a central foundation (which they can also generate themselves). This would be vertical in the hive, with cells extending in either direction. Note the honey dripping.

The honey and pollen in these clean cells is gorgeous. I tried the pollen, and it was one of the most richly flavored things I've ever had. The honey, too, was outstanding.

I found the head of a strawflower on the ground. I'm curious to see whether it will wilt; as it is, it seems already dried.

Like a perfect bow on a present. Beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment