Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Happy Dance: No More Pig Feeding!

Friend Martin came down today and he and Phil dispatched Buttercup, our final pig. It went so quickly that I had gone in to get a sweater and they were done by the time I came out. Didn't hear the gun at all. The skinning and gutting took a few hours, and now our last pig is hanging until we butcher tomorrow. The constant bleeding of money to pay for feed for the last year and a half is done. I rejoice.

As this was a biodynamic root day again, I finished planting the largest of the garlic cloves: 1320 total, in three 44' x 4' beds. I considered putting in another bed, but the cloves got significantly smaller, and since the squatting position to plant got old, and I wasn't sure I'd end up with bulbs larger than a golf ball, I just didn't have the heart to head out into the damp and rain, and so quit for the year.

It's definitely the season for longer time indoor to read to the boys. And I'm good with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment