Monday, May 7, 2012

Seed Sprouts

Phil mentioned this morning that he had to change the filter on the well last night. He had changed it Saturday evening, caked with silt. But after letting the water run for a day, the filter had filled again. I'm just so thankful that we have running water!

Although he sat up until 2am, the predator didn't show up last night. Phil moved the chicken pen near the house again, and we have electric net wired again. I had a bad moment when I went to close the chickens in: I didn't see Tux! Just the seven Leghorns and Chanticleer. This was not good.

But Tux was there! She's just harder to spot in the shadowy hen house, blending her black feathers in the corner.

It hasn't been good weather to open the beehives, but I noticed there were bee cappings from baby bees already last Saturday! So fun to see that the virgin queens are already productive. I continue to have another five or six little scions poke out in green every day. It has been fascinating to watch the rate of emergence.

Speaking of emergence, the 500 Siberian pea shrubs and 500 goumi seeds don't look terribly good. After soaking for a day, I put them in little soil blocks, then covered their flats with plastic to keep them from drying out. That may have overheated them. Time will tell.

On the other hand, I put the goji seeds in wet paper towel in a plastic bag, and I've checked them every day for the last week. I had about 25 little sprouts today, and that was very fun. The white mulberries have a few sprouts, too. Perhaps in the future, I'll plan to sprout my seeds in wet paper towel.

Seeds don't run away or need corralling. Seeds might die, but if one does, it's not as emotionally draining as mammalian loss. I like seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment