Thursday, October 29, 2009

Pancake Patch



I am not sure where today went. Some days we get so much done, it amazes even me. Some days, like today, zip past without much to hold on to. Both Phil and I spend much time in research: what kind of hydrants do we want to come off the pump? (A hydrant is like a spigot. We plan to have a hydrant at the well, another at the barn, one across the driveway at the top of our future orchard, and a fourth midway down our clearing.) Where can we buy such a hydrant? Where is a mixing bowl large enough to hold sourdough starter for seven people?

Looking out the window this morning at the patch the pigs turned over, I wondered if I could yet sow it to spelt (which is a relation to wheat, and, thus, an over-wintered crop). I got out my incredibly informative Small-Scale Grain Raising book, and read up on grain. Although wheat should probably be sown in mid-September, author Gene Logsdon said that he has seen wheat sown as late as November 5 that still produces a moderate harvest. So I took perhaps 7 pounds of spelt (all that remains of my first 5-gallon/42 pound bucket of spelt—which I opened around the time Abigail came!), put it in my broadcaster, and broadcast the land. I probably should have “cultipacked” it, which means, rolled over it to press the seeds into the ground, but I don’t own a cultipacker, and I have other responsibilities. If nothing comes up, or the stand isn’t very good, I’ll convert it to vegetable garden or something, and not be disappointed.

But I think it fun that I MIGHT have a pancake patch next year.

I was able to sit through all of Bible study tonight. We’ve made it through the end of Luke 9, where Jesus talks about the cost of following him with three people. In summary, what he says is, you can’t hold on to the things of this world and still follow me. I pray that I would hold the things of this world lightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment