Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Running Water (Just About)

Phil installed a thermostat this morning, so our house will remain at a constant, comfortable temperature. The last two days have been sunny and hot (hot enough for short sleeves and shorts), while the nights freeze. I got the rest of the garlic in the ground, so all 6 ½ pounds are ready for winter.

The well guys unexpectedly showed up right before Phil left for some errands. So we have running water at the pump, but not through hoses or anything—Phil’s errands took long enough, he didn’t have much daylight when he got back.

We are getting 50 chicks at some point tomorrow through Saturday. I called today to try to get a better estimate, but, apparently, with 125,000 chicks hatching each week (!), it’s hard for them to pinpoint which chicks go out where, and then how the USPS will route them. So we live in expectation. And, now that Phil ran errands, we live in readiness, as he bought them feed and lodging today.

After my lovely, philosophical ramblings about the intersection of technology and man power, my oat press/mini grain mill stripped its gears today and quit working altogether. After only two months of use! Honestly, things made in China aren’t good, but this made in Italy product severely disappointed! I’m a bit concerned about how to make oatmeal or bread, with only whole grains. I could try the electric mill, and if I could find the Country Living Grain Mill (a hand-operated one that is supposed to be great), I will use that. Unfortunately, we’ve emptied all our storage and haven’t found it. God knows where it is; I pray he shows me.

No comments:

Post a Comment