Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Finding Just the Right Name

For our wedding, in keeping with tradition, we chose three passages of Scripture: an Old Testament, a New Testament, and a Gospel. Phil wanted I John 1:1-4:
That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life; (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and show unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;) That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ. And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full.

The other two passages, I was surprised to realize, both involve agriculture! Years before we considered farming as vocation. John 15: 1-14 speaks of the Father as the husbandman, who makes his vineyard grow fruit. When we abide in Him, we bring forth much fruit and our joy is full. What a prophetic passage! (Or, at least, I hope that we will bear much fruit, both literal and figurative!)

I don't have any recollection of how we found Isaiah 61:10-11. Perhaps I had read it recently. I remember even at the time feeling pleased with how perfect it was:
I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he hath clothed me with the garments of salvation, he hath covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decketh himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth herself with her jewels. For as the earth bringeth forth her bud, and as the garden causeth the things that are sown in it to spring forth; so the Lord GOD will cause righteousness and praise to spring forth before all the nations.

Another passage about fruit! Another passage about joy! (Perhaps because my middle name is Joy and I like to eat fruit, I especially liked those two passages.)

As I reread the second verse in the Isaiah passage today, I had a hopeful thought about our farm's name.

See, our poor farm is still nameless. How do we market any products without a name? From Lavish Abundance to Rest and Be Thankful, from Green Pastures (from Psalm 23) to Olive Plant Farm (because the children will be like olive plants around the table, as Psalm 128 says); even Phil and Amy's Farm or Lykosh Family Farm or Fruit Full Farm—I've thought about the name a lot.

But none have been quite right. Lavish Abundance sounds too health and wealth. I love Rest and Be Thankful, but Phil hates it, and, to be honest, I don't rest a whole bunch, preferring to be active. Green Pastures doesn't really encompass the fruit trees, and is too Green Acres. Olive Plant Farm is awkward because we can't easily grow olives here. And Fruit Full Farm is too cute. But what about

Spring Forth Farm!

I think that suits ME perfectly. I like the motion, I like the season, I like the trampoline, the energy, and the activity. I like the three short syllables, and the alliteration. It sounds hopeful, and happy, a place people would like to go.

I like that it has a prophetic meaning, but it's not overtly Christian (the way "Psalm 1 Farm" would be). I can imagine an unchurched person saying, "Hey, let's go get some fruit from Spring Forth."

And I especially like that the springing forth of the fruit is a picture of how righteousness and praise will spring forth before all nations! I love righteousness and praise! Those two "Christian" words really fit Phil and I more than, say, "Peace and Mercy." (Those who know me well, I can hear your laughter from here.)

Spring Forth Farm—this might be the name. I think we'll wait a bit, just to make sure. But if Spring Forth is the name, the seeds of the name were sown at our wedding. That's pretty cool!

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog and have directed several people to it. Not sure if they are "followers" but they should be. You can really write! Keep it up.

    As you know we settled on the name "Restoration Farm" for our little place. We hope to use old methods of farming and building as well as creating a place where people can go to be restored in the Lord. That is our dream.

    I'm sure you have already mentioned these things but I would be interested in the specific choices you are making and why regarding breeds, plant types, etc. We are looking at planting some pecan trees this coming Fall and are likely to plant Stuart Pecans.

    Please keep in touch.

    --Jeff http://restorationfarm.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete