Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Price of Soy-Free Eggs

While I worked toward a deadline, Phil cut a pile of downed trees into rounds before he went to run semi-productive errands all afternoon.

I am so happy to have milk again. We've eaten the same spelt bread two meals a day since mid-October. Now I can branch out again into quick breads. Quick bread of the day: scones. Yum.

The boys and I set out to plant trees on our own. We'd only gotten three in the ground when Phil returned at 5:30. With his energy (and the extra holes I'd already dug but not planted), we quickly got another 12 in the ground: the 12 bitter apples. Why bitter? Well, the best quality cider apparently requires a mix of sweet, tart, and bitter apples. So we planted some bitter apples.

This evening I was surprised to read an advertisement for "Soy-Free Eggs!" My Dad taught me to keep good sales copy on file for ideas and inspiration, so I read this ad. Besides reminding the reader of the dangers of soy, it mentioned free range hens, top quality feed, no genetically modified ingredients, happy birds ... all like ours.

But their price? Well, they're on sale now, but usually: $35 for 4 dozen.

That's $.73. Per egg.

And since I can easily eat six eggs at a sitting, I guess I'll just say that I'm glad I'm raising my own. Wow.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, but I thought your eggs were something like $100 each? :) Just kidding. I get free range eggs, no soy--happy birds locally for $3.00 a dozen [delivered] so I am getting a great deal! Thanks for reminding me how fortunate I am, Amy.

    ReplyDelete