Sunday, February 6, 2011

Already at Work

When Phil and I went out this morning, Red was still standing shoulder to shoulder with Bethany. It appeared that they had not moved from their standoff to eat or drink, and Belle walked around, weakly bawling, as if she had not nursed. Phil put a new hay bale in with the animals, and the two bovine did not move.

After about 20 hours, Bethany was still resisting, but a short time later, Red came to the bale and tore it up with his horns, then calmly began to eat. Bethany soon joined him. We expect that the standoff ended with a triumphant bull, and we will watch for a baby on November 15. (Ideally, maybe we'll have a heifer on 11/11/11: something fun to hope for!)

I went out to squirt my seedlings with a water bottle, and noticed that there are rootlets emerging from the asparagus seeds and at least some of the onions! I can hardly believe it: there, before my eyes, are little signs of life!

No comments:

Post a Comment