Friday, February 25, 2011

Seeds Are Planted

Phil had been hoping for rain this week, and I woke to a downpour. Happy day! By the time I went out to start chores, though, the rain had stopped, and by 10am, we saw the sun, which had been mostly missing this week. Half an inch, though, over the course of the week, has left the ground spongy.

The boys, cooped up inside since Sunday, bounded out to dig in the well tailings, and Joe came in to the greenhouse to "help" me plant seeds, and to dig ponds and moats in my potting soil. We had a good time.

Asparagus seeds continue to sprout! I'm close to 200 little green bits. Isaiah came in today and helped me seed rhubarb, lettuce, cilantro, and spinach. I made the blocks and he filled them up. (He skipped the miniscule mustard green seeds: they were too tiny for him.)

In other news, Red took notice of Bianca yesterday, and this morning I went out to find them still doing their mating dance: Bianca running away; Red sticking to her side. By lunch time today, I could see that Bianca's resistance was waning. While I made lunch, I watched my first actual mating. At the risk of being vulgar, I had a general idea of how the mechanics would work, but the sight of a bull, up on his hind legs, hopping forward was a feat of athleticism that made me punch the sky in enthusiasm. Incredible strength and grace.

Not so pleasant for Bianca, who almost immediately lay down, and, on standing again, was careful to hold her tail out from her back end.

No comments:

Post a Comment