Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Brief Notes on Our Day

Jadon began chicken responsibilities today (find and gather eggs, put out feed). Isaiah was going to try milking, and he got all ready, with my assistance, to milk. He knew the proper hand motions and everything, so I think he was immensely surprised when he squeezed the teat and nothing came out. When I squeezed over his hands, we got a bit of milk out. Bianca shifted uncomfortably, so I finished up.

I had forgotten to mention that I ordered about a ton of feed, and Phil went off to pick it up in the van. Once it was all loaded, the poor van was groaning, so he didn't drive it back. I had to be a big girl and drive the truck up the road to get him.

Nothing like a surge of adrenaline to get the morning going. If I've ever driven the truck before by myself, I don't remember. I left the boys, figuring they would be safer on the farm than in the truck without carseats and with a terrified mother. I got stuck in a ditch backing out of the driveway (I had to cross the ditch to exit: it wasn't poor steering on my part), but I did what I had to in order to extricate myself.

Other things of note: I finished all flats of onions. I planted out my first 30 or so broccoli plants, and about 50 red cabbage starts. It took a long time.

I realized that most of my tomatoes, all of my cucumbers, and several of my watermelon starts, about 700 plants in all, have just about outgrown their 2" pots and need to be transplanted into 4" pots. I have only a single 4" pot maker. Seven hundred individual pots is a LOT of potting soil and a LOT of pots to form.

And I thought I was already busy.

1 comment:

  1. Why don't you ask at church if there is a person at church who would like to intern with you and help you out. The workload sounds overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete