Monday, March 7, 2011

Hours of Potting On

Clementine continues well, despite somehow pushing her way past the 5-gallon bucket barrier I’d wedged between the hay bales. I have no idea how a tiny lamb could force her way over a slippery bucket, through an opening already so small I don’t even notice it, but somehow she ended up far from her mother, probably in a protected location, for some portion of the night. Determined little lamb, but probably not the smartest.

The boys and I read through all of The Legend of the King, the last of Gerald Morris’ Squire’s Tale series on Sunday and Monday. That’s the end of the ten books, and we will miss their adventure, humor, and thoughtfulness.

I potted on tomatoes for about four hours, only getting 250 done. They grew rapidly and most were quite leggy, without about four times as much stem as root zone. I know that tomato stems can grow roots if touching soil, so I wrapped the stems and tucked them in (carefully only touching the leaves, not the delicate stems themselves). Some I even flipped upside down. Maybe that will kill the plants. Maybe it will make them stronger.

Little things like this make me realize how helpful an internship could have been. So many tips and tricks that I have to make up as I go along.

The rain yesterday damaged our internet dish, so we are cut off from the outside world. I am surprised how frequently I want to look up some information, or post to the blog, and am unable. It’s lonely without the wider world.

1 comment:

  1. I don't like when your internet is out either... I missed your blog! I pray it gets working soon. :)

    ReplyDelete