Friday, July 8, 2011

Fighting Disappointment

On Thursday, I woke up to find another six of my quart jars had spoiled overnight. I have 15 jars that still appear to be good, but with the early demise of the cucumbers, the poor germination of corn, beans, squash, sunflowers, potatoes; the ill-advised staking of the 500 tomatoes; the incredible growth of weeds, many now over 10 feet tall: I have been fighting what seems like an ocean of discouragement.

Add to that a frequent hour search for Reese (tonight I never did find her) to get a half gallon of milk. And the amazing humidity, when 89 degrees feels like 106. In all honesty, it bummed me out enough that I asked Phil what he likes about this life.

He likes being with the family. He likes the physical labor, "much more than engineering." He likes the spiritual growth.

And all these things are true, and good. And I can acknowledge them with my mind, but it feels sometimes like my heart rebels.

Maybe that's like the Israelites, crying for their leek soup in Egypt, while they were fed the food of angels, the manna from heaven.

Maybe I can have grace for myself and not assume I'm the worst Christian in the world because I'm feeling discouraged: I can deal with life's disappointments without adding spiritual failure to them.

Today was pretty good (right up to the impossible search for Reese). Phil got up at 5am, and I followed twenty minutes later. We got everything set up for chicken processing (plus I did some dishes while Phil moved the sheep). We began processing 14 week old chickens at 7am, expecting to do about 70.

Surprisingly, we only had 52 to do, and some of those may actually be from the next batch. They varied by weight a good deal: one was 3 pounds even after processing. Four were so big they couldn't fit in freezer bags, and, thus, have not been weighed.

We were pleased to have, on this fifth batch of chickens, more than 50% to kill. Clearly, 68% isn't a whole lot better, but we are making progress. We were stumped a bit about where the chicks went: we didn't have any major death losses in their chick stage, and didn't have any noticeable losses after they moved outside. But still, 30% of our birds vanished.

Phil suspects that when we first moved them outside, they fit through the netting and were picked off by one of the neighborhood predators. It's a reasonable guess. We didn't have that sort of death loss with the first batch, because we kept them in the chicken tractor. By the time we quit that, they were too big to fit through the netting.

It's a good tip for the management of the next batch of birds, about ready to head outside: put them in a movable pen, and keep them alive. Don't let them wander, lest they die.

On a very different note, the boys and I just finished my absolute favorite book from childhood: Ellen Raskin's The Westing Game. I've read it probably more than 20 times at this point, and reading it aloud to an appreciative audience made me see new things even now. It's my comfort book, and it was a pleasant diversion this week.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Amy,

    I don't know if you have invested in a dehydrator, but I'm finding dehydration a much more efficient and spoil-safe way of preserving the harvest. I love that it isn't as time sensitive, and the food can be stored just about anywhere. If I completely forget stuff is in the dehydrator, it is still fine when I go to do the next batch. How cool is that?

    I got started with some creative use of the dehydrator by experimenting with "Raw Food Feast" cookbook, and I'm totally hooked. We are not "doing raw vegan" as a lifestyle, which is Chef Mandy's emphasis, but as an added method and creative use of fresh ingredients, it has been transforming. My husband does great on the blender/dehydrator/soaking food prep method. The nourishment seems to be more accessible. So, we've bought the Excalibur and use it continuously.

    As an added note, supposedly food retains its Brix numbers better with dehydration than other forms or preservation. Dehydrated tomatoes give very intense flavor to sauce or stews.

    FWIW :)

    Thanks, as ever,for your wonderful blog! Truly inspirational every time!

    Laurie Ann

    My overview of the Chef Mandy Feast is here:
    http://mistress-powell.livejournal.com/26982.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurie Ann, THANK YOU! I have one of those round dehydrators, and it doesn't work very well. I end up having to move all the vegetables multiple times, and babysit it. Some burn. It's not pleasant at all, and it heats up enough that I am don't think it's very energy efficient.

    So I broke our no spend month today and ordered an Excalibur. I've had my eyes on it for some time, and I am grateful for your hardy recommendation. I have about 100 tomato plants of drying tomatoes, loaded with fruit. In Italy, they leave them on the vine to dry, hung against a brick wall, but thus far, it's been a bit too humid this summer, and all the ones I left in the greenhouse have simply rotted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to have inspired a positive direction! Right now, I have yogurt going in mine. with a tiny crock, it fits and I can set it to the right temperature. The last batch was actually a success.

    It has seemed a shame to have wonderful raw milk at from the dairy but buying commercial yogurt at the store, so this may be another way the Excalibur makes itself invaluable!

    ReplyDelete