Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Bush Hog Woes

Yesterday afternoon, Phil headed out to bush hog the neighbor's land. Although we've seen good improvement to the soil through rotational grazing, enough wild brambles and sprouting trees have come up this year, that after the cows have grazed, Phil wanted to get rid of the non-cow-friendly growth.

So for several hours he bush hogged. Stronger than a mower, a bush hog both cuts and pulverizes the thicker growth on the land. When we moved here, Butch bush hogged trees three inches or more in diameter.

Until all but one bolts on the bush hog sheared off, and Phil had to stop for the day.

He went early this morning to get new bolts at the hardware store. Came home only to find that socket sets for home use don't include sockets larger than about 3/4", and he needed a 15/16". Back to the hardware store he went.

He had told me what to do, should all the supports holding the bush hog up should crash down (I should turn on the tractor, which would automatically raise the bush hog). Phil went underneath, and then said, "Drat."

The bolts were welded to the bush hog. There's no way we can fix it here on the farm.

Argh! Nothing is ever easy!

***

In happier news, Phil stayed up until about midnight last night, and worked again today in order to get another light in the back of our original metal building, our "barn." So we are well lighted there now.

I have been at loose ends in terms of farm labor. I am still waiting for my 10,000 daffodil bulbs to ship; I am ready to plant something, especially while the weather is so perfect.

Yesterday I heard Isaiah order Abraham and Joe outside. In a stern voice he said, "The weather is beautiful outside! You must go out!" And the two little boys obeyed.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Amy! This is Cecilia. Not sure if you remember me from CU and marching band days. :) I am in the midst of the painful, frustrating task of figuring out primary school for my 4 year old and came across Sonlight on a random internet search for printable sight words flash cards. Through their blog, I found your personal blog and have been enjoying reading your amazing families farming adventures! Anyway, just wanted to say hi. You've got a beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah - I meant to write "family's farming adventures." Pardon the grammar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cecilia, I am so happy to hear from you! We must have some mental connection, as I thought about you very randomly about two months ago. From the little thumbnail of you and Paul, it looks like you haven't aged a bit, and how wonderful to have a daughter.

    Just this Sunday I mentioned to a friend the amazing work with a cleaver that your mom can do--I still can hardly believe that she gained so much proficiency starting with no clue at marriage. I think about my meager knife skills and remain amazed.

    Before we moved, I went through a period where I figured that Phil bought about $25 in coffee beans a month, so I bought $25 in Wodehouse.

    While the unfortunate scene in *Right Ho, Jeeves* about poor Gussy's speech is the most funny single moment I've read, I think my favorite two books are *Full Moon* and *Leave It to Psmith*.

    Feel free to send me an email: first initial, last name at gmail. So good to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I send you an email a last week. I'm curious if you received it.

    ReplyDelete