Tuesday, December 20, 2011

More Thoughts

Continuing my collection of pent-up thoughts, these are primarily religious, and quite personal.

There was a time earlier this year when I was (again) bemoaning my lack of standard house. I thought then of Jesus' promise to prepare a place for followers, that in his house are many rooms. And I thought, who knows me better than my Creator? The idea of a house, perfectly suited for me, decorated with my (perhaps not fully formed) idea of beauty—it was a great joy to know that that is coming one day.

***

I have had several examples of God's gracious provision. Though there are other examples (for example, the fig tree), but one sweet one came this summer. With the weather so hot, I had been wearing a cami to work outdoors. I only had the one, so I kept it despite its holes (generally speaking, I don't wear holey clothes. When something gets an unrepairable hole, I figure it is worn out). Finally one day, though, the stitching fell apart. The garment was shot.

And then my sister sent me a care package with not one, but four camis. Lavish provision.

Another example: with all the daffodil bulbs we bought, we opted not to order any bulbs on clearance (hard decision though that was). I was sorely tempted by the beautiful giant purple alliums, but I resisted.

And my friend Melanie gave me some of the very bulbs I had most drooled over. Like the fig tree, it felt like a kiss to my soul.

***

At a bee class earlier this year, Gunther Hauk mentioned something to the effect that often the right, or proper, calling is hidden under pesky, brash thoughts on the surface of the mind.

This was an interesting idea. Since then, I've noticed several times that I will have driving ideas, some that even wake me up in the night: order comfrey tomorrow; order blueberries. Unlooked for, these thoughts keep pounding.

But if I resist a day or two, I have seen that those precise orders would have been at just the wrong time. The pesky thoughts are not the right ones.

It's an interesting contrast to me. I think I have had times when God has clearly led me, and those are never pesky. Persistent, yes; but grounded, centered, right.

***

Jesus tells his disciples in John 15 that they should go and bring forth fruit, fruit that remains. With the little harvesting that we accomplished this year, we still lost some to bugs, to rot, to mold. What would it be like to have delicious fruit that springs forth and is not wasted?

In some ways, we have no concept of that in this world. This world needs fruit to compost or breakdown in order to feed the microorganisms, in order to keep the system as a whole healthy (the whole "circle of life"). This elegant system of growth, reproduction, and decay works well.

And yet, because of the aspect of death, which passes on us all, there is no fruit that remains here.

Jesus calls his people to a very different "agriculture."

No comments:

Post a Comment