Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Where to Place Puppies?

I was flummoxed this evening to find that Craigslist doesn't allow pet postings. I know I found Bitsy from a listing, and a quick scan showed at least one rule-breaker who had a puppy listing (asking $60, and ours would be free).

How does one find puppy takers? While there is a part of me that wants to head up to UVA or the nearest shopping center and hand out puppies, there's an element of responsibility that comes when a person actually comes to pick up the puppy. An element of forethought, of pre-considered discretion.

We have about ten days to find seven takers. You can pray for us. They are so precious and fun; the idea of them going to an indifferent home upsets me.

In other news, Phil made a special spray to increase rootlet growth. In going through the orchard, he gently knocked one of the boom arms, and that broke it. Again. Happily, he was able to fix it with some wire.

I am preparing to move my beehive, hoping the bees don't swarm in the next few days. I prepped the part of my moon garden, and put the new beehive support on it. I so like the new spot! And then my friend Rachel came to visit, and she brought me spearmint and mint and Alpine strawberries. And I already had that spot prepared!

So it was a good day here at the farm. It was fun to have visitors, fun to play with puppies, fun to dig and dream.

4 comments:

  1. Our local newspaper will allow you to place an ad for 5 days for free pets, but not if you charge. You may want to call your local paper and see if they do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am on the opposite side of the fence and believe that you never give away a puppy. You always charge, even it is just $20. The reason? People on a whim will pick up a free puppy and not have a plan of what they will do with it. Many times these pets are not planned for and not treated well or are later dropped off along side the road.

    But, a $20 puppy, people see that as having value. They paid for this dog, they plan for it, they take care of it. It is not just some free mutt.

    Do you see what I mean? I would run an add in the paper, charge $20 for each puppy, extol their virtues in the paper about parentage and being well socialized and see how it goes.

    Puppies, around here anyway, are NEVER euthanized. So, even if you end up taking a few to the humane society they will find good homes. People have to PAY for a puppy at the humane society and they adopt it. I think you are far better off to take left over puppies there than to just hand them out willy-nilly. Puppies are cute but they are a lot of work and if someone doesn't really want one too bad when they just take it home on a whim, they will abandon it on a whim too.

    Just my two cents. [One time a dog climbed a 6 ft fence and got two of our female dogs pregnant. We had 15 puppies all the same age! We sold all but one or two, we charged $20 each and that was back nearly 30 years ago!]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try bestfarmbuys.com They have all sorts of animal adds and are free to use. Good luck! And I agree, charge something...if they can't afford $50, can they afford a puppy and all that they will need???

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is also considered important to ask a small price if you do not know the person, as there are unscrupulous people who will pick up free pups to sell them for nefarious purposes. The going rate for that is $75, so I make that the minimum for strangers.

    ReplyDelete