Sunday, April 8, 2012

Resurrection Day


Phil's alarm went off at 6am. It's been a long time since I last woke up at 6am. And it was cold. With the weather in the 80s during the day, we haven't really felt the need to replace our space heater, which finally bit the dust a few weeks back. (It wasn't even on, and Jadon played with the cord, when it suddenly sparked and sizzled and pretty much freaked us out. Phil was out of town at the time, so I carefully carried it outside and then examined the sleeping bag to make sure no sparks were eating through to burn us in bed.) Anyway, the temperature this morning was 35 degrees, and we had to get out of bed in the chill, get dressed, and head to a sunrise service. This was daunting.

The boys were not enthusiastic. Besides the fact that that was two days in a row we'd woken them, the cold feels colder when you're tired, and they'd had no warning that there was such a plan afoot.

But when we drove the mile up the road to the Bessette's, and found an enormous bonfire waiting, they sat on the sleeping bag Phil brought, clothed in all their winter wear, through the songs, the homilies, the prayers. A very precious time.

Back at the house, we had a scant hour to heat water for showers, bathe four boys (and Phil), and make and eat breakfast, before heading out again. We made it, but just barely.

Before we left, I peeked at the bees. The temperature was not yet 45, and the clouds were low and dark. There was no activity from the swarm I hived last night, and when I tried to move the small clusters of cold bees into their new home, one dropped on the ground and then crawled up inside my pant leg. No sting: it may have been a baby without developed venom glands.

Others flew up angrily around my veil. One or two may have made it inside: I was heading up the driveway and the angry buzzing stayed around my ears, so I finally just dropped the veil and left it.

I am not a morning person.

We left, uncertain of whether this hiving experience actually took, or whether we'd return home to find the swarm on the swarm's favorite plum tree, or elsewhere.

The plum tree had a swarm when we got back.

So for the fourth time this week, I got the banker box, and for the second time I got the entrance blocker, so I could rehive the bees in their proper place and keep them in.

Except I didn't need to! The little Damaris hive was doing just fine: dozens of bees constantly triangulating. Even though the new hive is right next to the old hive: no problem.

So, yes, the original hive has now put off three swarms. And though I thought about it yesterday, I didn't purchase an extra bottom board and cover, so I am again one hive short. (Who would have thought my hive would swarm three times! It never seemed very crowded to me!)

I think this third swarm was significantly smaller than the previous two. I ordered a nuc, which is basically a minihive, with only five frames instead of the usual ten. When it comes in a day or two, I'll put this littler swarm inside, and then we'll see how it does as the season progresses.

The boys, by this time, were eagerly anticipating their special treats. So we took the obligatory Easter basket photo (I have these annual photos going back to my early childhood). I love the first one, where they are looking at their loot.

And since Isaiah first made a movie with Jadon a few months ago, Jadon's extreme aversion to the camera has lessened. Though he is usually tractable and kind, with a camera in front of him, he grimaces and contorts his face. Family photos are a challenge. But lately he hams it up, and I like to see that side of him.

Isaiah remains my free spirit; his rascal side is tamed, but it pokes through sometimes.

The older boys, though very different, have a lot of fun together.

Abraham moves between playing with the olders and playing with Joe. Wistful might be a good word for him. Sweet, sweet boy.

And Joe is, by turns, shy and gregarious. He makes me laugh with his little insights into the world. To see the world through 3-year-old eyes: that's a treat.

Our day then became restful fun. The boys ate some treats and listened to their new Adventures in Odyssey albums. I cleaned up the motor home, which may not sound restful, but it really is: changing linens, emptying the trash, moving clothes to their proper locations. And I emptied the car, which, with the lengthy drives we make, tends to fill with household goods quite regularly.

Phil spent the afternoon making frames for the hives. What a wonderful husband. Now there is space for the bees to grow into.

As soon as he finished the first super, I went down and put it on the original hive. Perhaps with a little more space, they won't swarm any more! Build the honey frames, bees! You have space now!

A super is a small section of hive. A strong colony has two deeps, where the queen usually stays to lay eggs; food stores, both honey and pollen, fill the deeps. The supers (two or even three) are for honey storage. Though I had supers available last year, neither of my hives was strong enough to build up to it. Maybe this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment