Sunday, March 10, 2013

Phil's Accidental Poisoning

When Phil found Beatrice yesterday, the day was far spent. He realized he could not extricate the backhoe from the depths of the blue building before dark, so he brought the forks over and moved Beatrice out of the paddock.

I didn't mention how stressful this was. My first walk in weeks, and I had to pull the electric line free. This was only a problem because when Phil would lift her off the ground, one of the rear tires came a foot or two off the ground. The hill was just enough to severely overbalance the tractor.

Unflappable Phil practiced a few times, standing up while steering to see his clearance. I threw my hands up in alarm, but that distracts more than aids. I stood out of Phil's line of sight.

And so he progressed downslope, foot by foot. Beatrice probably weighed close to 1000 pounds, the limit for the forks. He could not keep both back wheels on the ground, no matter how he angled the tractor. So, in the end, he drove away on one back tire, inching his way toward level ground.

Two years ago, we buried Reese. Phil put Beatrice down there and headed home for the night.

We debated going to church today. But after church and grocery shopping, Phil wasn't sure he'd have time to get the cow buried. And, really, how much of a coyote/fox/dog target do we really want to be?

So Phil got up and headed out to get the backhoe. It probably took an hour or so. Then another hour or two to dig the hole and bury her.

It was probably noon when he returned. I had fallen asleep, but woke to hear Joe knocking on the door (he is too short to reach the door handle, so if he's shut outside, he can't get in on his own). Bless Phil—I think he had fallen asleep, too, but he roused himself and let the boy in. Then roused himself again a bit later to wipe him.

"I'm poisoned," he said, as I dozed. "Carbon monoxide. I was in the barn with the tractor, moving stuff around, too long. I am queasy and have a headache."

Concerned wife that I am, I think I woke up then, but didn't say much. I didn't look up handy homeopathy for accidental poisoning. I just sat in a stupor. Phil fell asleep for a few hours. He's sitting up now, so I assume he's better.

Our life: where a dead cow almost kills a tractor and a man.

No comments:

Post a Comment