Friday, July 2, 2010

Cagey Cow

I went to order meat chicks for an end-of-August delivery this morning. Phil and I thought it would be fun to also have some ducks, and a couple of turkeys, too. I was hoping for the standard Khaki Campbell meat ducks, and preferably the Midget White turkeys (which win taste tests), or maybe Bourbon Red turkeys (also very good).

Incredibly, there were no ducks to be had, of any variety, after the week of July 12, which wouldn't work for us. There were no turkeys, to be had, at all. For the interested party, get into duck and turkey breeding: there's a shortage, apparently.

I weighed my "Music" garlic harvest today, and was surprised to see that I, again, had only about a four-fold increase. This time, though, I did an experiment, as many of my heads seemed quite robust. Indeed, the top 20% of the garlic was over eight times larger than the initial planting. However, the bottom 20% didn't sprout at all. So somehow I need to figure out how to make more of my garlic grow as well as the top 20%.

This afternoon, we tried to again corral Fern. After all, if she is to be bred this next week, we need to know that she can be corralled. That cagey cow, though, figured out that she could go under the electric wire Phil and I held, and she tried that. She figured out that she could jump over, too, and she tried that.

Phil went to buy more fencing. When she goes into heat, we will be ready. (We hope.)

I would like to introduce the fantastic "Super Trunks," the young superhero, accompanied by his sidekick "Bobby."

Jadon and Isaiah have enjoyed hours of pleasant imaginative scenarios with their inventive personas.

1 comment:

  1. Not a shortage, they only ever have turkeys, ducks and geese at the beginning of the year, March through June/ July. Must be when they lay enough eggs to hatch. However , even then it pays to plan and pre-order as they run out fairly quickly. Where's Bobby? Super Trunks looks great, channeling all sorts of heroes...

    ReplyDelete