Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A Day So Bad, I Want to Throw Up

I woke up a bit blue due to some personal issues, which no doubt colors the rest of the day.

Phil was going off to buy animal feed, so before he left, I quickly calculated the cost of our broilers. I had hoped to sell them for about $12 per bird, processed, but when I totalled the feed and the initial purchase price, the total was about $12 per bird. Just for expenses. That would be nothing for infrastructure, nothing for labor.

Might as well do nothing for nothing as something for nothing.

Non-GMO feed, without soy, is just flat-out expensive. Fine. We'd have 49 chickens for our personal consumption over the next year. Plenty for uber-healthy chicken stock for winter colds, and one or two meals a week of top-quality birds.

After Phil got back, we noticed that Bethany's udder expanded a lot, just since this morning. The cows were all panting, so we sprayed them, and tried some homeopathic Aconitum for fevers. I sprayed Bethany's nose with a Caulophyllum homeopathic remedy, good for labor preparation.

As we headed back to the house, Isaiah had a broiler in his hands, and he was shaking it rather vigorously.

"Isaiah, don't shake the bird; it might kill it. Or ... is it already dead?"

"Yeah," he replied. "And there's lots more of them!"

He opened the door of the horse trailer and we saw a wall of dead birds.

As I write, Isaiah and Abraham are spraying the few remaining with Belladonna homeopathic (good for heat stroke) in water. I think about 20 are confirmed dead right now, leaving us with somewhere between 20 and 30 living.

To say that I was upset would be an understatement. I think I had a nervous breakdown (if that means a person hyperventilates and wails and wants to die). I plunged my head under a cold shower, and that helped a bit. The temptation to walk up the driveway and keep walking until I died was strong.

And that's melodramatic. Sure.

But the reality is, we took into our custody three weeks ago a box of 53 cheeping babies. Almost half of those babies died today due to our neglect. Ignorance, of course. Oversight, yes. But whatever we call it, they died because of our mismanagement.

We can make excuses about how we didn't know how hot it was. I peeked in on them earlier today and they were panting, but no more so than they have at other times I've seen hot birds.

But in a deep way, it makes me question our decision to be on the farm. If we can't take care of the animals we have, we shouldn't have animals. It's a mockery to sell "happy chickens" when the ones yet breathing barely escaped from roasting alive.

At the end of a year when we've lost five lambs, one goat, two hives of bees, a couple dozen trees, our entire patch of strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries, several guineas and all but one keet, and almost everything I've planted in my garden, the loss of a few dozen birds we were hoping to eat is almost more than I can bear.

6 comments:

  1. Amy, I know you don't know me, but I've been a Sonlight customer for...I'm not sure how many years, but our oldest is going on 26 and we were with SL from nearly the beginning, I believe. Anyway, I read your blog, and love finding out about your family's adventures.

    All of that said...please accept huge hugs after your day! Raising animals is a very steep learning curve, and unfortunately, even when you do *everything* right, animals still die. I grew up on a farm with every conceivable animal, but married a city guy, and we live in town. We rent an area at a local stable about 10 miles from home, and the kids have been raising rabbits and poultry for the past ten+ years and I have been a 4H small animal leader for at least that many years.

    It gets hot here, too, and it is always in the back of my mind. I check the news constantly, check the thermometer, drive out and check the animals. I took the kids to state fair in August and was obsessively checking the temps for home and where we were...and calling home to make sure the guys at home were keeping an eye on the animals. Heat can take critters out very quickly! We actually run an air conditioner in the rabbitry to help keep it down to 85-ish on the days it gets well over 100 here. And we run fans. It sounds like you had the chicks in a trailer...could you run a fan in there?? Can you move the cattle to a pasture that still has shade trees? Can you run a mister line across an area of the paddock they're in to give them some relief?

    We did 55 cornish cross last year, and 35 this year. Don't laugh...the kids did it as a 4H market poultry project, and had to keep meticulous records of every dime spent...we had to build pens for them, buy feeders, waterers, feed, shavings for bedding etc. And we paid $3.50/bird to have them processed, too! So, our 55 chicks cost us $1000! This year, they did not have as many capital investments, LOL, so just feed and shavings, cost of chicks and processing...and...they won grand champion market pen of poultry and wen to auction, so the $450 they got at auction for 3 birds, paid all the expenses this year and we're eating "free chicken" this time :-) All this to say, anyone who's raised meat chicks and run the costs KNOWS that you can't make any money selling them. Very costly to raise organically.

    Hang in there! Big hugs!!
    Terri G. in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Terri. I am really needing some big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy. Very little to add to the above, except that livestock is a huge learning curve, and every year when I think I've got it all under control something else comes up that costs me animals. My husband said something very similar to the "how can we do this if we are allowing them all to die" adding scripture to the insult.... We all have really bad years, and then we have better ones. The most important added extra that is priceless is that you and the boys are eating healthy food and living an amazing life. Don't give up, farming has its seasons but the end result is priceless, even if not purely financial!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adding scripture can certainly make it worse. I was reading in Deuteronomy this morning about how the Israelites would be blessed if they followed God, and cursed if they didn't. This morning that seemed really happy--hooray! We're following God! And then this afternoon it seemed really yucky. No curses! Bah!

    Theologically, there's probably some important distinction between OT and NT, and between Israel and the Church.

    And, in truth, Christ died, and I don't need more blessings here than that. I just might desire them.

    On the up side, since dosing with Belladonna, none of the remaining chicks have died. Last I checked, it still looked like about 10 were not out of the woods, but maybe a good night's sleep will help them.

    Before the Belladonna, I would have expected only about 7 survivors, so to have yet 29 breathing is AMAZING.

    Those poor birds were in BAD shape. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Amy, I'm so sorry! There are a million and one things to go wrong on a farm, and some days I feel like I have to learn them all the hard way :(

    It does get better... there are reasons why God gave land for generations... It just takes time to learn what works on a particular little plot, what does well with our family style, and just to learn the parameters of how hot is too hot, how much water is enough, which animals need extra care...

    May you be comforted!

    Laurie Ann

    ReplyDelete