Tuesday, September 14, 2010

We Have a New Baby!


Our first full day at the Bay, we got an ecstatic call from Cheri. Phil’s parents had graciously agreed to watch the farm from Monday to Friday, and Cheri had happy news.

“We have a baby!”

Bianca had her calf by 1:30pm. No one witnessed the actual birth, but Cheri spotted the baby while it was still wet. It stood and ate without difficulty, and we rejoice in the healthy baby GIRL.

I finally have my Beatrice, a name I’ve had in mind for a decade. Not only the Queen of Holland (my ancestors); not only the level-minded older sister of Ramona Quimby, and the full name of my favorite childhood detective Trixie Belden. Beatrice is ALSO the smart and witty hero of Shakespeare’s Much Ado About Nothing. And, pinnacle of literary merit is, of course, Dante’s immortal Beatrice (pronounced in Italian bay-uh-TREE-chay).
(Note: Though Ken and Cheri took photos of her first day of life, the photo above was taken Sunday, September 19.)

1 comment: