Thursday, August 25, 2011

Three Apples


I had an energy surge late last night, so I was awake for a mild aftershock. The actual earthquake was such an amazing experience, standing barefoot in the dirt far from anything remotely dangerous. I just felt the earth gently ripple. So incredible. At 1am, though, when the loud rumble started again and the trailer gently shook, it scared me. Five boys I love slept peacefully in the next room. And then it was over.

This afternoon, while Phil was watering the cows and setting fencing, a wind picked up. The air was so charged; it was heady just to be out in it. As the cover of the feed blew off, I suddenly remembered that we hadn't put Tuesday's delivery in the feed bin (I think Phil hoped to use the older bags first). So I went out to cover the feed, and Jadon joined me. He hoisted a 50 pound bag of kelp off the pallet into the wagon, then dragged the wagon to the barn. What a guy! Lifting almost his weight (six months ago he weighed 50.5 pounds, and I doubt he's gained much weight since then).

Phil came in after the downpour started. Three-tenths of an inch in about 15 minutes. And then the clouds cleared and the sun came out, briefly.

My father-in-law requested photos of the cows, grazing in the neighbor's pasture. As I headed over to take photos, the broilers ran to meet me. Those Red Ranger chickens are so beautiful.

At the corner of our driveway, I can look south across our stone fruit orchard, and see the red cows in the distance.

The cows themselves were almost surreal against the clouds, grazing a bit of bush hogged grass, that Butch had cut for the owners to have easy access to their house.

The cut area is so orderly compared to the amazing grass only feet away, uncut but grazed. That land has such a beautiful sweeping view.

As I reached the apple orchard, I went to see our trees. I was surprised to find a single little Braeburn tree, only about five feet tall, had a little red apple on. How did I miss that one! Such a little tree shouldn't be producing fruit, but growing roots and trunk! A single large Beni Shogun Fuji apple was on a separate tree, just a bit pink, and beautifully sized. I picked it, probably a bit early, but that single apple was calling me. And the beautiful Goldrush trees offered a lovely green apple.

They are certainly not cosmetically perfect, but the Goldrush was completely delicious. Crisp, juicy, flavorful, yum!

And the Fuji and Goldrush were such a beautiful size. What a treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment