Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Just About Seven Inches


I crashed about 10:30 last night. Since the boys had all napped in the car, they were all still awake when I went to bed. We had finished reading All Sail Set, about the clipper ship Flying Cloud. In it, the sailors would finish their watch, only to be summoned on deck again to change the sails, should the weather turn fierce.

As I fell asleep, Jadon the witty suddenly called, "All hands on deck! Shorten sail!" I happily fell all the way to sleep, and barely remembered that call until this morning.

Phil had a hard time going to sleep last night. While I slept peacefully, he was concerned about the incredible deluge that commenced about 10:30pm. By the time he went to bed at 1am, we had had about 4 inches fall.

When he woke up to more rain, he said, "I sure hope the sawmill didn't float away." Since we did have Hog Creek crest the banks once, that wasn't an idle threat.

So I was very thankful to find that, though there was surface water flowing next to and around the mill, Phil had sited the mill very well, and it was still level and safe.

Walking back up the hill, I saw some beautiful new asparagus spears growing, and oh, was I tempted to break one off! I resisted, for today.

And our amazing weeds have apparently reached critical height: they were well drooped.

Phil headed off to do laundry, but he brought the full water gauge to show us before he left.

The boys and I stayed cooped up all day. After our time in the car yesterday, the energy level has been elevated all day. Phew!

Before night fell, we had 6.7 inches, including yesterday's rain during our drive. And it still sprinkles, and periodically comes down even now.

No comments:

Post a Comment