Sunday, September 4, 2011

Sunday Bits

I have always taken my day of rest on Sunday, from midnight to midnight. I would do my college work up until midnight, and then be done for 24 hours. Today, I sometimes am working for pay until right up to the deadline, and then take a welcome break.

I have found lately, though, that by Sunday evening, I wanted to talk through the schedule and tasks at hand for the next week. But planning can be work, so we would wait, and then it would be Monday afternoon regularly before we were all settled on what to accomplish. So we're trying something new now, the Jewish way from sundown Saturday to sundown Sunday. We'll see how that works. It is certainly a great blessing to have a day to relax a bit.

As soon as he could, Jadon went out to finish his roller coaster K'Nex. It could be that the cattle trailer is so out of level, but whatever the cause, the motor would just not work very well, though all pieces were properly in place. He managed his disappointment well: I'm guessing the thrill was in the construction, primarily.

Isaiah said, "I guess that's why we shouldn't buy things from China."

And I continue to feed my bees. They aren't eating one to two quarts of honey water any more, closer to half that. I have been monitoring the bottom of the hive, checking regularly for mites. And I haven't seen any, and haven't seen any. I know that they can be a real problem for hives, but felt like maybe I had dodged that bullet.

But after another Google search to see what they look like, I suddenly saw them. My Celadon hive has about twice the recommended load, and the Celestial hive is right at the limit for treatment. Happily, I know what to do for varroa mites, since my last class.

When I'm tempted to feel disappointed in my lack of beekeeping ability, I have a nice thought from one of the ladies on the Sonlight forums: "If you can't do more, then you are doing enough. If you can't manage what you are doing, then maybe it is too much."

And with the bees, I do what I can with what I know, and hope it will be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment