Thursday, September 22, 2011

Remember the Beauty


Phil headed back to Costco today. Without any companions, he was able to shoehorn two freezers into the back of the van. Quite impressive! Our plan is to process the boars as soon as we can. With freezer storage, we might be able to get to both in the next week.

Along with errands for ice, electrical conduit, a meeting in town, and shipping some business packages, he didn't get home until after dark.

Back at the farm, I got an email with our soil sample results. Overall, it appears that we haven't made progress this year, but have regressed some. I struggle against despair, feeling that this last year has been a waste. Then I remembered that last October and November I was desperate to move away, desperate to leave the cramped quarters, ready to get away from a place that seems to demand everything I've got without return or encouragement.

Perhaps malaise affects me seasonally. How predictable and how ordinary.

To fight the blues, I headed out with the camera. I expected to see nothing of beauty or color: the faded greens of late summer, the grey sky for yet another day. Foolish me. Even the old flowers offered beauty; even the unwanted rooster amazed me with his crimson comb.

The worker bees, entering the hive with saddlebags full of yellow and white pollen. The wildflowers, the goldenrod, the leaves just changing for fall, Little Mallardy the smallest duck.

Enjoy the colors with me on this last day of summer.









1 comment:

  1. Beautiful photos, Amy. Thanks for choosing the uplifting in the midst of a difficult time!

    When I am overwhelmed with the radical lifestyle we have chosen, to be re-pioneers in everything from child raising to hoop house raising, I remind myself of what Tim Lewis says: This is not for us. It may not be for our children. But it is our grandchildren who will reap the benefits of the choices we make today.

    Bless you!

    ReplyDelete