Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Duck Responsibility


At one of his conferences last year, Phil noticed that Greg Judy put his electric line over his gates, rather than digging a trench and burying the electric line under it. So Phil ran the line up the posts, then up fiberglass poles left over from tree planting he stuck on top of the posts: it gives him plenty of headroom to drive under.

Phil went to our friends' last night to watch the BCS title game. Our friend was an Alabama grad, so to watch Alabama shut out LSU was a treat. Despite the late night, Phil went down to lumberjack. By the end of the day, he was physically exhausted, and surrounded by tree debris. I think he's done cutting trees for a while: he'll start sawyering next.

When Phil went to the dump, we found a bunch of night crawlers under the trash bags. Since I'm wishing for worms, I grabbed all I could find, and put them in a measuring cup until I had a chance to find a better home for them. I finally made that home today. It was quite fun to scrape the layers of dirt away, and admire the night crawlers' amazing paths through the soil. I had hoped to find some egg cocoons, but they eluded me. Hopefully those big worms will generate offspring!

Meanwhile, Isaiah wanted to capitalize on his duck ownership, so he asked if he could bring Mrs. Mallardy inside. That was fine with me, as long as he cleaned up after her. Happily, I came in to find him cleaning up her mess—he didn't try to duck his duck responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment