Sunday, January 15, 2012

Fresh Turmeric

Saturday was bitterly cold. Phil spent the day designing on the computer, until late in the afternoon. We had gone out to replenish the chicken's feed bin, and discovered that, in the month since we last checked it, mice had done incredible damage to feed bags. And, worse, they had eaten into our $1000 worth of free-choice cow minerals. We had hoped Phil would be able to make a feeder for them already, but, as usual, we ordered and haven't yet put it to use.

We ended up putting the minerals into covered 5-gallon buckets, hopefully left in the open enough that our cat can catch those rascally mice!

I spent some time re-cleaning what I cleaned last week (and was amazed at how much dirt and grit had accumulated; I never really want to clean unless there's a noticeable change, and I was amazed at how great the change was!); then I made some further progress. I actually uncovered Jadon's dresser, and the books that had been buried thereon.

Sadly, that meant that I just paid it forward to my own desk, but since last week both the dresser and the desk were covered like that, and perhaps even worse, I feel like I've made progress.

We all went in to a local grocer today. Although the prices were higher for butter and yogurt, we were impressed with their selection of locally grown vegetables and fruits. And, since we had looked at leeks in a seed catalog, Isaiah asked if we could get one. Hmm ... a request for vegetables. I think I'll say yes!

Another fun purchase was sprouting lids. As a thrifty woman, I have resisted these sprouting lids for years. I can make do with wash cloths! But because it's not fun to wrestle with wash cloths and rubber bands, I usually don't. But sprouts should be a good homegrown winter vegetable. Currently soaking: daikon radish and clover seeds.

And we bought fresh turmeric! I have only used powdered, dried turmeric in curries, but I read an article last year about fresh turmeric. Supposedly a wonderful medicinal plant, as well as nicely flavored, I figured we could grow it in the greenhouse, but I have never tasted it fresh. So I bought some today (with fresh ginger in the background for comparison: very similar in shape, but the turmeric is smaller and much more yellow).

1 comment: