Sunday, January 1, 2012

Welcome, 2012!


I have no recollection of being awake at midnight the last two years. This year, though, Jadon was still up reading, I had just finished my blog retrospective of 2011, and Phil was looking at straw bale construction. When the year changed, I embarrassed Jadon with my happy jig. Happy New Year.

With the start of a new year, I am pleased to have finished the first year of records in my ten-year garden book (shown with the annual, incredibly valuable biodynamic planting calendar, which we use almost daily). There was a period of about a month in the summer when I was too depressed to record much in the journal, but when I gathered myself together, I got the daily high and low temperatures from accuweather.com, and reconstructed what we accomplished based on the blog writing. So I have a reasonably complete record of the weather, the tasks we accomplished, and the monthly rainfall. I don't have a complete record of gardening itself, though, as the garden pretty much self-destructed in June.

One of the most startling things in looking at photos from the end of 2010 was the absence of shaping on what is now the market garden. We had no road, no tall weed stalks, no swales. It was a smooth hill. What a difference a year makes.


Phil suggested a different angle for the peach orchard slope.

The apple orchard, lacking leaves, is still a stand of white fiberglass poles. In the future, I think I'd prefer to plant trees that need no staking.

And, for posterity, a photo of our dwelling, looking west. (There is a reason I usually take only close-up photos: the standard number of random artifacts is just a bit depressing.)

No comments:

Post a Comment