Friday, February 10, 2012

Lumberjack, Sore Back


Phil headed down to the sawmill this morning and worked there most of the day. He sawed probably about 300' of boards, mostly fifteen feet long 2"x12" planks.

He's learning about how to manage the sawmill effectively. One of the things he noticed is that sections of mostly straight trees have segments where branches connected that can create a lot of waste. He explained his idea for a workaround, but I didn't fully understand it. (I'm not gifted in seeing descriptions without an actual image or example. And I'm not mechanical at all.)

He came up late in the afternoon, pleased with his efforts, but sore. It takes a lot of strength and leverage to move a stationary, waterlogged tree.

My homesteading accomplishment for the day was getting sweet potatoes started making slips. I have heard that if you put a chunk of sweet potato in a glass, half covered with water, after some time, the sweet potato will start sending up shoots and roots. One chunk can, apparently, produce 50 slips!

Since slips are about half a buck each, I would prefer to grow my own. (Especially since the $200 I planted last year produced absolutely no sweet potatoes for me.) I just bought some at the store. We'll see if it works.

1 comment:

  1. PHIL ... that's a mighty fine looking stack of wood. You can't buy stuff like that at Lowe's. ... BOB EVELY

    ReplyDelete