Monday, February 20, 2012

Our Little Snow


As we drove home late yesterday afternoon, a thick, wet snow was falling fast. Since I wasn't driving, I loved to gaze on the white trees out the window: so rural, so pristine, so beautiful.

Happily, we had no calf waiting for us; Phil wonders now if the cow wasn't actually bred during Snowman's rogue week last year. That wouldn't hurt our feelings if she needs a couple extra months. (I'm not usually pleased about delays in birthing, but with a half foot of wet snow, how could I be anything but pleased?)

We woke to a white wonderland. Phil, good snow driver that he is, bundled Abraham off to get his stitches out at 8:15 (of all the days of the year to have an early appointment!). It turned out that, though he had only about a 2cm laceration, he had seven stitches, just like Isaiah, who had a 6cm laceration.

The boys pulled on snow gear and went out for most of the morning, just romping in the snow. They threw snowballs, cleared the trampoline and tractor by hand, ran around, and just generally had a ball.

Since the sun was out and the snow was melting rapidly, it was good they played while they could: by night, the branches were clear and about half the ground was visible.

The puppies had a groundbreaking day. Their eyes opened partway, though I don't think they can actually see anything yet. And they started actually walking on their feet, which is, I must admit, one of the cuter things I've seen in my life. I brought the two little boys over to watch, and they laughed from their bellies to see these little, fat rolly-pollies wobbling around.

2 comments:

  1. Dearest Amy,
    I finally completed reading your blog and am up to date! Call me crazy (wouldn't be the first time), but it was a delightful read, and I feel like I know you so well now! That is horribly unfair to you, I am sure!
    I do have to say that you are doing exactly what we hope to do... well most of it, not all of it, of course! And you're living in the exact area that we hope to live in eventually! I would love to chat with you more in the future about what has and hasn't worked. Your blog has already been an invaluable resource to me for someone that has walked the road that I hope to walk! I hope that we'll be able to talk more in the future! If you would like to get in touch, I'd be delighted to talk, just drop me an email to hqueen13 at gmail dot com if you're so inclined.
    I also have to confess that I was tickled pink when I saw that the puppies were born on my birthday! How delightful!
    Warmest wishes to you and the family.
    ~Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Kudos to you for the almost 700 posts read!

    I'm always humbled and honored when people start at the beginning. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete