Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Mulch on the Apples


Phil was able to get the truck started this morning without any difficulty. He spent the morning putting the entire quantity of beautiful chips around the drip line of the apples. He spread them heavily: that huge quantity only covered about 60 trees. What a great recycling: the nutrients flowed downhill, the trees took them up, we shredded the trees, and the nutrients are back upslope again now, where we hope they will suppress the weeds, feed the trees, and improve the overall appearance.

Phil and I headed down to chip again for a few hours this afternoon.

This pile was more difficult than what we had yesterday: so many wild grape vines, so many branchy tops, a tricky combination of large trees and tiny twigs. We made good progress, despite the belt coming off. I even shredded some branches, until I stuck in an oddly shaped one that got stuck. In the end, Phil managed to extract it, but that was the end of our efforts for the day. (The sun had set, so it wasn't just me.)

Phil says that he loves lumber jacking. I think the "TIMBER" aspect is a bit intense for me, but I love working at chipping and shredding. I love that we're getting the ground cleaned up, that we are generating useful fertility out of "waste"; I love being outside in 60 degree weather, without bugs, breathing the clean air.

No comments:

Post a Comment