Tuesday, August 21, 2012

First Day Post Construction

As Phil pointed out, just because construction is done, doesn't mean the building is quite "done." We returned the man lift today; we got a rake. The gravel and chunks of concrete on the floor of the building wasn't quite what Phil had in mind, so he scraped away out a portion of the gravel, then dropped large concrete chunks in, and smoothed the gravel over all again.

The interior now mostly usable, he started to clean up the exterior: strips of sheet metal into the pile for the dump; larger, extra sheets inside for future projects. Insulation and hoses and the plow, all moved under cover.

I started dealing with the greenhouse comfrey. In the last rows planted, I have about a 50% germination rate, which is not a good utilization of the greenhouse space. So I started digging up the largest plants, and taking cuttings from the roots. A large plant will give me about five cuttings, so I place the cutting in some moist compost, put it in the ground, and then cover the site with a half bucket more of compost. I probably should have done this initially, but we didn't have the compost ready yet.

Each 15' row is getting about a wheelbarrow of compost, so new sprouts and growing plants should be well fertilized now. I think I did three rows today, and planted six larger roots, a bit trimmed, in the open spots in the orchard.

I love working with the comfrey. Currently, I've taken the leaves and put them in my worm bucket; I always want my worms to be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment