Saturday, August 11, 2012

Rest Day

I woke up this morning and read, just for me. I don't remember the last time I took a half hour, first thing in the morning, just to read for me.

We had had almost an inch of rain fall in the night, so with the sogginess, we decided to take a break.

For some reason, the day still felt full. After doing the dishes and listening to Car Talk (which Jadon loves intensely: "Only 14 hours and eight minutes more until Car Talk," he said last night), I took Socks away.

It was several hours before I got back. As I drove, I listened to Mendelssohn's lovely oratorio Elijah, the second most popular oratorio in English after Handel's Messiah (which is sort of like saying that Mars is the second best planet to live on after Earth: maybe it's true, but there sort of isn't a second best in the category). Popularity aside, I have long loved this oratorio, taken from Scripture. The chorus has a lovely duet, "And he shall give his angels charge over thee," and I drove and cried.

When I got home, I read and ate the last ice cream bar (ha!) and slept for an hour.

In the evening, Butch came to visit and Phil and I sat and talked. I peeled and cut up a paper bag full of the worst of the apples, but it was a pleasant way to pass the time.

Phil read one of our favorite books of the summer, Belly Up, about the death of a hippo.

And so we come to the end of a day in which the farm stood still and we recharged.

4 comments:

  1. Yay for a rest day! and good music too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely day! I'm glad you got the ice cream bar! :) and I'm so glad all of you liked Belly Up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you take Socks? . . . I don't recall you having told that story. Or did you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, where did you take socks? Did an animal shelter agree to take him? As Bitsi did not seem to prey on your chickens before socks was old enough to be with her, I would think it is a pack mentality and she may possibly be a non predator since his is gone.

    ReplyDelete