Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Just Do It

As I've walked the land a bit lately, I've been discouraged by the number of Johnson grass seed heads. Boo. They're so prolific, it felt overwhelming even to snap off the seeds.

But sometimes you need to just do it, so I determined to take an hour and do so. I think it took the full hour, and I probably missed some, but overall, I feel like the spread is contained, at least above ground.

Then I went over to the tree nursery. I don't know how long I've neglected it (three or four weeks, I would guess), but I have weed trees almost up to my armpits. The overall weed pressure isn't horrible, but these enormous, fast growing plants popped up in a few places.

The poor trees, unaided by supplemental water, have been quite stressed by the summer we've had. They're holding their own, for the most part, but if growing things ideally need an inch of rain a week, I think they had one week or two that was sufficient in the last three months.

I noticed recently, too, that something was eating the tips. A few trees have been half defoliated. I should probably attempt something like a garlic spray once weeding is done, but the bug (deer?) pressure also really discouraged me.

It makes sense that lack of water would cause stressed and weak plants, a better target for bug predation.

It felt good to just do it, and finish weeding four of the nine rows.

Phil, too, had a just do it day. We had finished the tasks he knew how to do, and had to again dive into the unknown.

He had to wrestle with the flashing along the roof. Not only were the drawings extremely unclear, but the flashing itself was a thin metal, so thin it bends easily. He managed, somehow. He also finished the flashing along the front of the building, and framed out the garage door along the front.

Late in the day, we got the first panel hung along the front.

6 comments:

  1. I just wanted to let you know that your blog is one of my favorites (if not favorite!). I admire you and your husband for what you are doing and just love your honest writing. I love hearing about everything going on around your homestead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yay! Another comment! Thank you for your kind words. Sometimes I wonder if anyone besides my family members read the blog, so it's encouraging to know that at least a couple of people who don't know me personally are reading. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy,
    I read and I liked seeing the farm from the "birds eye." Just wanted to say that deer are notorious for eating the tips of trees. They are browsers and they love eating the tips of trees and bushes. It is so discouraging. Our little orchard is constantly being assaulted by them and the stupid racoons. If there is one ripe fruit the stupid racoons climb up and eat it, breaking the little trees in the process. We put wire cages around them and I think that just helped them climb faster. Drives me crazy. All that to say, probably deer not bugs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are deer remarkably light on their feet? Because there's (not electrified) electric net around the enclosure, and I guess there was one graft knocked loose, but it wasn't where I'd expect a leaping animal to land.

    It's probably time to electrify that net, though. Maybe add some peanut butter to make sure the shock is felt. (That's not original to me, btw!)

    And raccoons might be the culprits in denuding our orchard, then, too. I figured the wasps and ants were just really voracious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen deer leap over 8 foot fences, no problem. People in SO. Oregon, where I grew up, generally build up to 12 foot high fences around their gardens. Don't know what your deer are like down there or how tall your fences are, but don't underestimate their ability to "leap a building in a single bound!" I have also seen them squeeze underneath fencing gaps on their knees. Putting a dog in the orchard would help. We continue to love reading about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perhaps with a 12 ft electrified fence you could put the two chicken eating dogs to good use keeping the coons and deer at bay and keep the chickens safe at the same time?

    I am finally catching up! Just a few more entries to go and I will be up to date! This has been quite a ride with you guys and I can't believe how much you have accomplished from the tent in the rain to an almost completed insulated barn! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete