Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Tree Tags

I have wanted to tag each nursery tree specifically for some time. I finally have 1000 tags, and so I headed to the nursery today to prune, label, weed, and generally see what is happening with my baby trees.

I didn't get very far, but I thought it interesting: in the top row, I had Ashmead's Kernel grafted onto both MM.111 and 109 rootstock. The preponderance of the 111 trees were well over my knee height, while not a single one of the 109s even reached my knee. They were alive, but they weren't growing quickly.

Another thing I noticed was that about half the trees I labeled had put off branches about 30" above ground level. The trees that continued to shoot skyward with a single trunk are much taller: they didn't split their growing vigor. Since these trees aren't going to be dwarf trees, and I want branches a good bit higher than 30", I pruned those extras. Hopefully I'll get some good growth yet this fall.

Phil scythed the tall weeds between the top four rows of apple trees, until he had blisters. Ouch.

No comments:

Post a Comment