Sunday, September 30, 2012

Our New Swimming Pool!

The 1.3" of rain last night was welcome for the plants, of course. But when we got up today, the excavation site was standing water. Maybe it's not quite a swimming pool, but it's close.

Once we get the forms made and the foundation poured, we'll put gravel over the work zone (much nicer to work on than slippery, sticky clay), and have drainage tile and a trench to move water away from the site. But for now, we wonder how to work around all the water. Shop-vac? Mini pump?

We'll see.

On a totally different note, I've been rather resistant to driving around to look at used materials. What a hassle! What a lot of time!

Today, though, I went to look at cast iron tubs. They ranged in price from about $1400 to about $4000. To spend even four hours in the car to get a used tub for $100 doesn't seem so ridiculous. Hmm.

5 comments:

  1. Amy~ Check and see if there is a Re-Store in your area. It's overstock for donations made from Suppliers to Habitat for Humanity. We have also done well at a bargain lumber yard. I got a $1500 (96") picture window for $175. Not always fun or productive... but definitely worth a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do have a Re-Store up in town. I haven't been there (heard the bargains weren't quite as good as you might wish), but it sounds like you scored. Maybe I would, too. Good suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruh-roh, rain! I know this family wanted a pool, but they weren’t quite finished building it yet! Hahaha! Hope you were able to get the rain water out quickly, if not soon enough, and were able to lay some gravel down. I’m sure you guys are totally excited about your pool! It looks like it’s gonna be pretty big!

    Cathy Newman

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Lykosh! =) Have you made progress with building your pool now? I’d love to see the outcome of your pool project. I would also love to have a backyard pool in my new house. How much did it cost you to build the pool? Please let me know. I’d like to weigh my options before I proceed with this project. :)


    ------> Dylan Mallory

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you had a mud pond instead of a pool, but I'd say, 'close enough!' Haha! So how have you guys been doing? Must be pretty awesome to have a pool at home, where you can just take a dip and relax when the weather's scorching.

    Luke Stephens

    ReplyDelete