Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Why Is Nature So Stressful?

I was reminded today of a book I read five years ago or so, Last Child in the Woods. I remember little about it other than the premise that children today don't get much outdoor experience, and we should give it to them.

This was one of the prompts that eventually led to us living here.

"Going out to be in nature is so restful, so centering, so clarifying." I read something like this today; I've heard it said elsewhere.

So why, when I go outside, am I angry and stressed?

It bothered me to realize this. I have had walks to the back of the property that left me feeling hopeless and furious. And yet, just thinking about it, I love the property. I like the streams and the slopes. I like the large hardwoods. (Maybe not the pines so much.)

I started to think about other books, other visions. Before we moved, I imagined a life of self-sufficiency, like John Seymour. A life of reasonable financial success, like Joel Salatin. A life with a beautiful balance between rest, serving the community, and personal learning and fulfillment like Scott and Helen Nearing. (Though that one I was willing to be patient for: they had no children and, obviously, didn't homeschool.) A life of nature walks with the boys, like Charlotte Mason. A life of community blessing, like the Celtic Christians; a life where we sat under our own fig tree.

But that isn't what has happened yet. Without even our own eggs, I feel less self-sufficient now than in Boulder. (But it could be coming soon: perhaps soon we'll have our own beef, our own milk. Next spring our own vegetables. It could be.) The reasonable financial success: I hack away at the root of bitterness that keeps trying to take root about this, and tell myself that it will all work out in the end. But who wants a bitter root springing up? Bah!

Our life is balanced in that we are surviving, paying our bills, and occasionally seeing our friends. But it's not a lovely split like the Nearings. Unlike them, I would not currently write a book about our life called The Good Life. (The Refining Life, perhaps.) Nature walks with the boys? We could all learn together, I suppose, but it can be a challenge to identify a tree by its bark alone in the winter, or try to find the leaves 30 feet overhead in summer. We don't do nature walks, let alone nature journals.

Did I mention the fig tree isn't doing very well?

No wonder nature is not restful for me! Just going outside reminds me of all the things we've tried that haven't measured up. The forest reminds me of all the thinning that needs to happen that hasn't yet.

I'm not downhearted about this. This isn't meant to be depressing. It's more a realization: of course I've been tired and discouraged! My dreams of four years ago have not come to pass. But that's freeing, too: what of that vision should be scrapped, and what renewed?

I have hope that nature will one day again be restful and renewing, and that I can go to the woods and feel blessed and not stressed.

4 comments:

  1. Well, when I go outside and enjoy nature, it's a respite from my normal everyday chores or work, so it is mostly enjoyable. However, there are times when it's not, because I see projects that need to be done for safety or aesthetics; then it's stressful. I would expect your life with nature to be very stressful, because it's your job, your sustenance. You have to rely on it, so you have to plan it and accomplish it, or people don't eat. It's why I wouldn't own a business; I'd rather be the worker who does get paid on payday. And I would bet all those people you mention had years and years of struggle. Now their things are figured out and it 'runs itself' more (quotes because they would probably laugh at that). You're doing something with a huge huge learning curve. And not just something, but lots of somethings. Anyway, I know you know all this...I'm just saying here's a shoulder and a hug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking along the sames lines as Lesley. Also, everyone writes about what they did best. Did they write about raising four energetic boys who get along and love each other? NO, because they didn't do it. Did they write about the art of living together in a small space? No. They wrote about the one thing or couple of things they eventually succeeded at.

    What have you succeeded at? You could write about about a family pulling together, older siblings who are kind to younger, teaching kids to read and write and think critically all while learning to drive tractors and being kind to animals. Do you know how many people would envy your family, where you and Phil work together and raise you boys? So, if someone read your book would they feel bad because they fell short in that area but had an amazing garden? {"All I can do is have an amazing garden and lovely eggs, but my kids fight all the time and are not helpful."}

    We would all like to be a success in every area of our lives, but it isn't realistic to take the best of what others have accomplished and then wonder why we can't do it all.

    Perhaps your dream is different than God's plan. Perhaps God's plan is to have you raise loving boys who will one day be amazing husbands and maybe you will never be able to live off the land, but you will have a legacy in your sons. I have no idea, but would that be so bad?

    What we deem success is maybe not what God deems success. I know you know that. But, I think you are doing a great job with your kids and husband and maybe your dream was pitched a bit too high. :)

    Much love to all you guys and I hope you have an awesome Christmas.

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is one of our universal faults, but especially as Moms and even more so as homeschoolers, to set ourselves such high expectations that we can not help but fail. For each Joel Salatin, there are probably hundreds who tried and failed, for any number of reasons. In my life the trick is to keep aiming high, never compromise there, but not to beat myself up when we fail. Otherwise there is no joy. Jumping on the trampoline, running through the grass, well that shone a light for me on areas where I'm just not doing enough of that kind of fun stuff. Keep dreaming Amy, aim high always and don't measure yourself against the people who write books about how they have it all figured out. If they did, well Jesus wouldn't need to come back would He! Your blog is honest and as such acts as a barometer to the rest of us. Merry Christmas and a blessed New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, such nice comments to brighten my day! Truly, thank you!

    ReplyDelete