Saturday, May 4, 2013

And Then Something Went Pop!

While I continue to spent most of my time convalescing (not a single good day this week, after five a week ago!), Phil has had two good days of block laying.

He came within three blocks of finishing the fourth corner this evening before he ran out of mortar. And since Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday look like rain, it might be a while yet before he finishes.

Abraham and Isaiah made a huge batch of chocolate chip cookies a few days ago. They got sick of baking them, so I wrapped the dough in parchment paper, put it in a plastic bag, and put it in the freezer.

Abraham asked if we could thaw it, so I pulled it out and left it on the table. When I came in this morning, the bag was open with some suspicious looking spoonfuls of dough out of the top. "Isaiah, did you like the dough?" He readily agreed that he did, but then said, "But I didn't have any today!"

So I looked at Abraham, who gave such a sweet, guilty, happy smile, Phil and I burst into laughter. There is something about a baby-faced blonde boy with a wide grin that is so irresistible.

Abraham made a batch of cookies and overcame his fear of turning on the toaster oven (turn past 40 minutes to activate, then set).

Later I noticed that my roll of parchment paper looked like it had been crumpled. I picked it up and it was dripping! Too weird! Abraham said, "Well, I dropped it outside. Then I had to wash it off because it was dirty!" (This might sound odd, but it makes sense: he must have been using it on the kitchen table right next to the RV door, and lost his grip, since the paper is longer than his arm, when it rolled down the steps and outside.)

Perhaps that's not exactly how I would have dealt with it, but I appreciate his initiative and desire to make things right.

Speaking of making things right ... Phil's finger has never been right since his ligament damage last November. He never regained full range of motion; the joint, though not swollen, was significantly misshapen, and he couldn't put his hand flat.

When he brought the tractor in for the evening, he banged his hand and something went Pop! That's not usually a good sound as related to the body, but in this case, it restored full range of motion, allows him to lay his hand flat, and reshaped the finger so it looks as it should.

Apparently the doctor missed a slight dislocation. The idea of bopping the finger into place at the time of the accident was inconceivable due to pain, but how nice that the finger is restored now with a simple bang.

1 comment:

  1. This is so interesting to me - I had this weird issue as a child with my thumb where I basically couldn't bend it. I must have broken it or something as a kid and not ever known. One day, twenty years later, my thumb "popped" and it hurt terribly...and then felt amazing and now it works just like my left thumb! Bodies...what amazing things they do!

    ReplyDelete