Saturday, May 11, 2013

Phil's Workshop with Our Orchard Hero

Friday was over 80. After much of a week of rain, the humidity was unpleasant. I am thankful it's not like that often.

And the flies came out in force for the first time. After months of leaving fried rice uncovered from breakfast to lunch, it was a jolt to remember that, no, that isn't a prudent idea in the warm months of the year. Little fly eggs are recognizable and too disgusting to contemplate.

Thankfully, I had a pretty good evening, and had the energy to clean the kitchen. Ha! There's not much for flies to eat in a clean kitchen.

Phil has been burning the midnight (or 2am) oil on various engineering projects, which means he needs to catch up on sleep during the day. Nevertheless, he laid two courses of blocks on Friday. He has something like eight corners to do each time, with the various window and door openings, so none of the block laying is quick. He's hopeful that another two or three days will finish those final six courses and get the lintels placed.

Friday night, a freak gust of wind came out of nowhere. It was uncanny, to be washing dishes in quiet and peace and suddenly have a gust shake the RV and knock down the awning. Usually there's some prelude to such violence, but not this time.

Saturday night we were getting ready to go and milk, watching storm clouds head our way. The storm broke right as we headed out, and it made me laugh to see how much smarter the calves are now. When they were born, they stood in the rain, drenched, while their little covered corner went unused. Today, I brought out the milk and neither calf made any move to come and drink. They stayed under their covered pen and stared at me like I was insane. "Who cares if it's time to eat? We want to be dry, unlike you, crazy lady." (The rain did taper off shortly, so I could have waited and spared myself the trouble.)

But the exciting news was that Phil went to a workshop at a local apple orchard that had brought in our apple orchard hero, Michael Phillips, author of The Holistic Orchard, The Apple Grower, and, with his wife, The Herbalist's Way. Farmers who do apples and herbs: I want to be them. (Of course, I also want to be Doug Flack of Vermont, who does milk and Milking Devons and fermented vegetables. And I wouldn't have minded being Joel Salatin, with his cow/chicken/rabbit/egg operation. Or Mark Shepard and his large scale permaculture farm.)

After numerous workshops where Phil comes home to say, "Well, that was okay," it was fabulous to have him come home and say, "That was worth it. I'm glad I went." He enjoyed meeting some of the other class participants and enjoyed the time in the field. He came away quite encouraged that we are doing well thus far, and with ideas to both improve and just to carry on for the future.

One of the amazing things: Michael Phillips loves comfrey and stinging nettles (both of which I have now!). He plants them at year two or three. In those early years, he heaps on hay and ramial wood chips (those made from small diameter branches, and so vibrant with recent life, unlike larger trees with more woody matter). When it's time to plant, he simply pushes the earth aside and drops in the comfrey root.

Having planted 10,000 daffodils in hard clay, the idea of planting so simply and easily both inspires and makes me gnash my teeth. How simple we could have made it for ourselves! (Maybe.)

Phil's favorite part: if the nutrition in the orchard is high, orchard pests are not a problem. We haven't read much in Michael Phillips books about orchard pests. The workshop covered them in greater depth, but it was hopeful to see that it might not be a problem, as long as we keep increasing fertility.

I had considered going, but am glad, on balance, that I didn't. Abraham wasn't feeling well, and I took an unexpected three hour nap in the afternoon. Pregnancy continues to wipe me out.

4 comments:

  1. Michael Phillips is my hero, too! I actually emailed him a couple of questions after I read The Holistic Orchard and he graciously answered them. I was star-struck, lol! I'd jump at the chance to attend one of his workshops, but, alas, he doesn't seem to get to this part of the country very often. I was hoping he would be a presenter at the Mother Earth News Fair in Lawrence, KS that I'll be attending, but it doesn't look like it.

    lydiasmommy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard great things about the Mother Earth fairs, so even without Michael Phillips, that could be worth it.

    Do you have anyone around you interested in orcharding, too? I think this workshop probably had about 30 attendees, and at $125/person, that probably covered both the appearance fee (I would guess probably $1000? maybe a little more) and maybe made a little profit for the orchard itself. It's a smart way to get a guest lecturer, you know? Charge admission and get the expert to come to your farm.

    Not that you need another thing to do, right? But if you have enough local interest, you could probably lure him to your area of the country. Kansas needs Michael Phillips, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to content myself with Joel Salatin at the MENF, which is nothing to sneeze at. It would be amazing to get Michael Phillips here. I know he does do private orchard consultations, but I don't think that is probably in my budget!

    Praying that your pregnancy gets easier on your body and that your little one continues to be knit together perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, fun to have Joel! He's just over the mountains, so I've heard him once and Phil has, too.

    And, really, I think about how ideal to have someone famous come lecture here on the farm, but then I think: hmm. I would need a tent and chairs to seat everyone. We'd need a port-a-potty. We'd need a lot more parking than we have right now. We might need some kind of microphone set up. And a screen and device to handle powerpoint presentation.

    Every one of those is one difficult thing too many. :-)

    ReplyDelete