Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Five-Month Photos

Phil and I spent some time today trying to figure out what cows gave birth last year. I realize I was sick for a good portion of the year, but it is a bit embarrassing to me that, between my calendar and my blog, I somehow missed mentioning a calf (or two?). I don't know.

Phil tried to repair the tractor tire. It wouldn't repair. So we bought our third new tire in the last twelve months. "You should stop driving over stuff," said the tire repair man.

The boys and I had a marathon of reading. I have been focusing more on math and writing lately, at the expense of reading aloud. But I got started on The Great and Terrible Quest last night. We read until after 10:30, and then finished the book today. What an ending! What a story!

Caleb and I went to town today to see the proofs from his five-month photo shoot. I was pleased with how the black and white portraits turned out. It was interesting to talk to the photographer about her husband's work, too. He's a psychologist and studies relationships, and how, for example, if a wife holds her husband's hand during a counseling session, he can make more progress with less stress. We are social beings, and want to be close to one another.

It was interesting to see that in the photos. The five brothers together had a really hard time posing so there would be a photo that looked good. Add Phil and I: there are seven people, settled in together.

So, for anyone in isolation: even if you just watch a game on television together, that can be enough of a connection to maintain mental health.

Phil separated the calf from Clara yesterday, so today he started to milk three cows. I was in town, so didn't see how long it took. But I am so thankful not to have that additional task on my plate. I feel like I mention that almost weekly. It is truly a great relief for me.

2 comments:

  1. "You should stop driving over stuff", that's funny. It's a tractor, not a car on a paved road. It is a bummer to replace a tire that still has tread left.
    Really enjoy your blog. Great job!

    ReplyDelete