Saturday, January 23, 2010

Gravel Run and Not Much More

Thankfully, I did not get all the way sick. I lounged around half yesterday, which gave me a chance to watch a BBC production called The Monk and the Honeybee, which showed Brother Adam of Buckfast Abbey as he endeavored to improve the honeybee. The bees I’m getting in April are Buckfast bees, so I know now how Brother Adam bred them. Artificial insemination of the queen: use a very small pipette.

But after a half day, I guess I felt better, because I was done lounging around. I don’t remember doing anything terribly exciting other than making pizza and brownies, but I suppose food in general after a few days off IS exciting.

Today, Phil went to the quarry for another load of gravel. He and several children spent an hour shoveling the gravel out of the truck. I spent that time putting a layer of gravel in the predug holes, and adding more subsoil back. I think the holes settled a good bit since we first filled them in, and I am happy to add more subsoil back. I’m nowhere near done with this stage of tree planting, but I am glad to be able to do something towards planting!

Next, Phil and I laid out the remainder of the apple orchard as close as we can using string and spray paint. The number of trees I can actually plant in the upper meadow keeps shrinking. Which means I have to decide which apple trees not to plant, or which trees to plant in the lower pasture. Neither option appeals much.

We headed to the Bessettes to get cleaned up for church tomorrow. They weren’t there, so we raced through five baths and two showers. I remember when Isaiah would play in the tub for three hours until he was a white raisin. Now he gets about three minutes to get sudsy and clean.

Back home, I finished adding photos to previous posts, so you can check those out, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment