Sunday, January 24, 2010

Lots o' Laundry

After church, we brought Mt. Laundry to the laundrymat. Five loads (and 2 hours) later, the clothes were incredibly, marvelously clean. Not every garment has been permanently stained orange! They just needed hot water to actually get the dirt out. Back home, I put the sheets back on the bed and the pillowcases, which avoided vomit, didn’t make it into the dirty clothes bags. The pillowcases stood in stark contrast to the clean sheets, as you can see below.



In the meantime, we stopped at Country Blessings, a store that sells mainly local foods. We enjoyed Dr. Pepper with sugar (not high fructose corn syrup!), amazing Tahitian Vanilla Bean gelato, and a pepperoni sausage while we waited for the laundry. A fun little treat.

Then we went to the Bessettes and had a pleasant afternoon and evening.

Finally, a note about our sheep. You know, we started with goats, and bought them expensive minerals to keep them healthy. Then we bought the big sheep. I knew that sheep should not have copper: all the books say so. But I asked the guys at the high-end mineral/supplement store whether they agreed. One said, “I would not risk it.” And the other said, “I have always done it, and it has been fine.”

So I fed the sheep the old goat minerals. But when we bought the Babydolls, I wanted them to have the best, so I bought sheep minerals, sans copper. Over time, though, I would occasionally put goat minerals in the feeder. After all, none of the sheep have shown the slightest problem.

In reading back issues of sheep!, however, I came across a heart-rending tidbit. Sheep store excess copper, until a stressor triggers its release. Then they quickly die.

And I remembered that that same reassuring man at another time had mentioned that his sheep tended to die easily and unexpectedly.

The horror! I may have doomed my six Babydolls to sudden death.

Further bulletins as events warrant.

No comments:

Post a Comment