Thursday, January 21, 2010

Sweeping Sickness

Wednesday morning Phil drove into Esmont to pick up his new axes at the post office. The felling ax works wonderfully—it bites deep, it’s light to heft, the handle extremely durable. He cleared most of the way around the apple part of the orchard, ensuring we have space to maneuver on the edges of the layout before a cold misting rain commenced.

We bought several ¾ bushels of “applesauce” apples, or seconds, from a local orchard. I boiled up two pots of quartered apples, then ran them through my new food mill. I had hoped it would save me time; some of those tiny apples take a long time to peel, quarter, and core. It probably could save time, if I had a pot large enough to cook many apples, and if I had warm running water in which to wash the device. (The entire device must be broken down and cleaned, which takes a good bit of time in my odd kitchen.) For now, I’ve boxed it up for future use.

Abraham and Isaiah took it easy during the day; Isaiah’s recovery was slow. By evening, first Abigail, then Jadon, the Phil, and finally Jonadab all got the vomits. I felt a bit like Job’s servants: “And none but I escaped to tell the tale.”

Today Phil slept; the children watched plenty of movies; I cleaned up after Joe who is the only one still vomiting, but also the only one who has no control whatsoever.

I am beginning to feel less than healthy myself. I considered ending this, “I shall write again … when I can,” but that seems a little too melodramatic.

No comments:

Post a Comment