Sunday, June 13, 2010

Kombucha

Saturday was another workshop on biodynamics. I drove the six hours and had such a refreshing time. I put one CDs of the Psalms and sing, and then I'd feel the urge to pray for a while. Then I'd confess, and sing some more. What a refreshing little mini-retreat.

The class itself had a fascinating lecture, and then an explanation and demonstration of how to crush quartz into a talcum-like powder. This silica is specially treated and sprayed on crops and has many beneficial affects on crops. The demonstration went on a little long for my taste, but overall I had a good time.

We headed up to church this morning, then took an extended lunch break at Chipotle with friends from church. My patient sons, despite having no real entertainment, sat for about two hours. What good boys.

It was over 100 degrees in Charlottesville. We were happy to eat in air conditioning, and then happy to attend Bible study with a group from church; another house with cool air circulating! And so nice to have a little extra time to get to know the beautiful believers we worship with every week.

Before Bible study, we stopped and bought another eight watermelon for the coming week (all eight from last Sunday having been eaten with great joy). And I bought another 106 pounds of sugar; that should last at least this next week. Every cashier I have expresses astonishment at the quantity of sugar I purchase. No kidding.

Some of that sugar has gone to kombucha production. Have you ever had kombucha? It's a health food, a cleansing, detox drink that's naturally fizzy. I like it better than soda, and definitely more than beer, though I think from a "refreshing" standpoint, it could take the place of either. To make it, I bought a couple bottles of GT's kombucha from the health food store. Using GT's as a starter, I added sweet tea and let the mixture sit for about a week. It transforms into a completely different drink. Some day, I suppose, I'll have enough on hand, but for now, all six of us wish we had more.

I've been doubling my production every week (there's a "mother" culture in every bottle of GT's, and as it grows, I can make more), so it won't be long until we have enough for us all every day. Very exciting!

My encouraging thought for today: I've been struggling the last few weeks. But Pastor Bill read from James 1, how the testing of your faith works patience, and patience must finish her work, so you may be mature and complete, lacking nothing. He said, "The scariest place to be is off in the corner where Satan doesn't bother you; it means you're totally ineffectual for God, so powerless that Satan doesn't even have you on his radar."

That was helpful, in some ways, to hear. The frustration and hopelessness I feel is a testing of my faith; but even that will grow something good—patience. And what a relief that even Satan's attacks mean that something good is going on in me and on this farm.

Which is all to say, YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment