Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Christmas Is Coming Photos


Jadon came into the room the other day, dressed as "a WWI fighter pilot," complete with helmet (made by his shirt wrapped turban-style about his head) and goggles (formerly used at the pool).

But wait ... he transforms into a super-hero, too! (I absolutely love this photo because, since about age 2, Jadon has been leery of the camera. To see him with a huge grin of delight is normal in real-life, but rare on camera.)

Isaiah wasn't going to miss out on the fun. He emerged shortly as both fighter pilot ...

... and super-hero.

We have been having a great week leading up to Christmas. My Grandma sent me some crocheted snowflakes (she'll be 90 soon, and still making delicate Christmas decorations for her grandchildren: amazing!); they also spruce up our house (here on the towel that covers the window at night).

We've been reading The Twelve Days of Christmas in Virginia, which Phil's aunt sent last year. It's fun to have a better sense of place now, and we've even been to a few of the locations in the last year. Jadon, especially, sings out at the top of his lungs, "Five pewter mugs!" and Joe waits and then, when we get to "a cardinal in a dogwood tree," he yells "Card dog tree!" Any song he can yell in is a good song for him.

We finished school today for Christmas break, and the boys celebrated with gelato.

And we've opened a couple of presents. With our living space so small, it's good to spread out the opening, so we can find a place for all these things. (Or at least, so I tell myself.) In my family tradition, we open a present each, starting with the youngest and working up. My Dad would take the obligatory photo of each member of the family. So, for your viewing pleasure, we have the Lykosh boys, opening presents a bit early.

Joe, overwhelmed with his good fortune of not one pair of boots, but two—one set even Lightning McQueen!

Abraham, yet to uncover what treasure the package holds. (Books, including two in the Mercy Watson series. He now has six, and has checked with me several times: "I have all of them, right, Mom? They're all for me?")

Isaiah's present, too, turned out to be books. It kills me that I didn't have my camera ready at the exact instant when he realized that the box contained sequels to Spy Mice; had I captured it, you would have seen unalloyed joy. However, I have the moment immediately afterward, above, and a bit later, when he was able to pose, below.

And, for good measure, his reaction when he saw the illustration of "ants in the pants" on another book of fun. (Ah, the humor of a 6-year-old.)

Jadon opens his box, with instructions on a variety of card tricks. My brother Justin is an expert, and I think Jadon will have fun with that.

***
In other news, Bianca is still throwing small clumps in her milk, and her somatic cell count is getting higher. However, I found in a book a likely explanation of what is happening. Apparently, cows can get a quarter with scar tissue, that will feel like an egg (yes). This harbors bacteria, and, if a person starts to feed aloe pellets, the cow might throw some of that infection. And, surprise!, I started feeding aloe pellets earlier this week.

I again stripped out Bianca's quarter four times today, and dosed her with garlic juice and a variety of homeopathic remedies that sound applicable (and more aloe pellets). She is still not acting sick, so I am hoping that she is simply building her immunity right now, and that her quarter will be better than it ever has been very soon.

(Her unproductive quarter may be part of the reason we're her fourth owners in five years.)

And we resolved our mortgage issue, very favorably, with a lower interest rate (such, such welcome news!).

Happy First Day of Winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment