Sunday, July 29, 2012

An Unexpected Day

On our way up to church, Isaiah started to vomit. And it wasn't just car sickness. So Phil turned the van around. The boys and I stayed home, and Phil headed up to church and community group.

I let the boys watch a movie, and I went and had an hour and a half of quiet and solitude. I don't know that there was anything life-changing about that time, but it felt restorative, deep within.

Some time later, I looked at Isaiah, and he still looked unwell. I put in a second movie, and thought about another quiet time. But I really wanted to learn something practical, and I thought of the herbs, the wild plants, growing around the farm. I wouldn't have to tend them, but simply read about them and pick them.

And so I spent a fascinating hour or so learning about four plants. Queen Anne's Lace can be used as a natural birth control. Yarrow has a wide range of uses, but I was interested to read that it is especially good for cuts to the bone—had I know that thirteen months ago, perhaps we wouldn't have needed three sets of stitches. Stinging nettle is good to relieve burns (Phil burned himself yesterday: if I had only known a day earlier!). And plantain is nature's drawing agent: it draws out splinters, pus, mucus in the lungs, infections in the teeth (use as a gargle).

I left that time almost walking on air. I had smelled the sweet yarrow, tasted several herbs in various teas, started several tinctures for future use. I had learned something new, made something healing out of the plants around the farm (three native, one planted).

So it was an unexpected day, but a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment