Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Tuesday, July 3: Day Four Without Power


While I've had overall good cheer, something about waking for the fourth morning in a row, sticky with sweat, hot, dirty-haired: it was hard to have a positive attitude. I usually make two loaves of bread a day, but without a toaster oven (or any oven), that hasn't been an option. We had pancakes for breakfast, but that heated the RV. The world is hot.

Some deep cleaning on my desk helped some. Continued good conversations about what to do when the power goes on: that was good.

At 2:17pm the electricity beeped on again. Eighty-eight hours and more (with the little blessing last night), and we had returned to the land of internet, air conditioning, and toaster oven. Phil right away filled the 250 gallon stock tank. We both showered. We sat in the stream of the air conditioning. Life is good.

So good, after dinner, clean and cool, we headed out to the dirt and frustration of removing forms. In about three hours, we made little progress on the inner boards (one longer one, two short ones, with the last three long ones stubbornly staying in place, glued down by overflowing concrete that has hardened inexorably); but I started digging out the exterior facing boards, and THAT was fun and fulfilling. The side I started with is most often in shade, so the concrete is not as solidly cured; thus, I could chip away at it with just a shovel, rather than Phil's pick. Also, that side wasn't as undercut, so there was less concrete to begin with. With just me digging (and I'm neither a strong nor efficient digger, compared with Phil), I cleared a 50' side, and Phil easily popped the boards out. We were given a boon, and I appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment